Welcome to a blog in which you will find examples of my work in two areas and comments on whatever topics come to mind.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Card

Oil on art paper 7.5 x 9.5in

I watch Dickens's 'Christmas Carol' with Alistair Sims almost every Christmas. It's become part of the ritual, along with the tree and the turkey -- although, in South West France, where I live, there is a tempting alternative to the traditional turkey: a magret de canard -- i.e. a sort of duck steak. Of course the film drips with sentiment, but the acting is superb, the black and white has a specially potent dramatic atmosphere, and when Scrooge flings open his bedroom window after his nightmares, and learns that it is Christmas Day and he is not too late to do some good in the world, and he capers for joy . . . well, I admit to having, at that moment, a lump in my throat and a slightly moist eye.
This was painted for Alice Thompson's Calypso Moon Artist Movement: artistalicethompson@live.com

2 comments:

  1. Alan, thank you so very much for sending me your very wonderful painting from the Christmas Carol. I never expected such a nice gift. When Alice suggested a card exchange, that's all I thought it would be - a card. I am overwhelmed with your generousity. Thank you again and a very happy new year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, many thanks for you kind note. Your card is a witty treasure and very original. I like the way you resolved the problem of arm and hand for your snowman to hold the paint brush -- the bent twig! I've been enjoying a browse through your blog -- great mix of photos and paintings. Also, goodling Oregon to refresh my memory of that lovely part of the world.
    I look forward to keeping in touch with what you're up to in 2011.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete